In the early 1900s, John Wanamaker, known as the father of modern advertising, said: Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I don’t know which half.
That was then…this is now. The beauty of today’s digital marketing is that it’s extremely measurable and extremely flexible. But unless you can connect efforts to results, your numbers are just that…a bunch of numbers.
You need to ensure you’re measuring the right things. Effective management of digital campaigns requires:
- Clearly defining your marketing goal
- Figuring out how you’re going to move people toward that goal
- Identifying and removing any barriers to reaching that goal
- Setting baseline measures to compare results
- Ongoing optimization to improve results
Campaign management is about doing more of what works and less of what doesn’t work. There are many ways to monitor your campaigns and find out which generated the best results. Three best practices are:
- A/B test ad creative. Test different images, copy, and calls to action to find out what gets the most response. You can do this for Google Ads, display ads, social media, email and even on landing pages.
- Use tracked URLs for every link in your campaign. Use Google’s URL Builder to create tracked URLs and get reports in Google Analytics under Acquisition/Campaigns/All Campaigns.
- Set conversion goals. Configure your Google Analytics to include primary conversion goals (e.g. Contact Us form submits). You’ll then be able to see which campaigns generated the most conversions. You can view results in Google Analytics under Conversions/Goals.
And always remember to test, learn and adjust. Nothing is a failure. Everything is a learning moment to optimize and improve for the future.
MoreSALES can help – we can develop, execute and monitor integrated digital marketing campaigns that drive results. Talk to us today.